5.08.2012

Flour Tortillas from Scratch



I've been wanting to make Homemade Flour Tortillas for years and I even remember my husband, Ray, talking me out of it at one point (before I got some of my cooking techniques perfected). I must say these are pretty amazing!  Here's my recipe:

2c Organic All Purpose Flour
1t Sea Salt (fine, not coarse or kosher)
1/4t Baking Powder
1/4c Butter, softened to room temperature
2/3c warm water (not hot)

Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl with a wisk, then cut in the soft butter in to very tiny pieces (smaller than pie crust style - it should all be crumbly) Then make a well in the flour mixture then slowly mix in the water with a spoon, once it is loosely incorporated turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes, adding flour as needed, kneading until not sticky but smooth. Don't over work the dough, as long as it's not sticky and fully combined it will be fine. Divide into 8 equal pieces and roll each into a ball and return to the mixing bowl coated with flour, cover lightly with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes.

After resting, roll out the first tortilla with a rolling pin into a circle that will fit into your cast iron skillet which you heated  to medium (no fat!! dry heat) Put each tortilla in the skillet for about 1 minute, ideally cook but avoid burning with just a few spots of browning then turn with tongs. I stack on a plate until your ready to use them, if they have cooled you may need to heat them slightly to make them soft enough to roll.

For dinner tonight I topped a tortilla with some taco seasoned Grass Fed Ground Beef and Organic Raw Milk Longhorn cheese from the Family Cow (www.thefamilycow.com) and broiled it in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese.. then added some diced hydroponic tomato we bought at the Morgantown Farmer's Market, shredded lettuce and chopped onion from our garden, cultured sour cream and homemade guacamole.. rolled it all up.. So good I had to have 2!