5.09.2012

DIY Dishwasher Detergent $.01/load


How awesome?! I just added, yet another, homemade and really cheap household product to my existing recipe book and it really really works! I run my very cheap dishwasher a lot and I abuse it..  I hate rinsing dishes and this works better than finish or cascade that I've used for years!!

Dishwasher Detergent Recipe ($13.94 total cost)

1 Box Arm and Hammer Washing Soda ($3.24/box)
1 Box Borax ($3.38/box)
2 Bottles of Lemi Shine $3.66/each x 2 = 7.32)

Combine the Washing Soda, Borax and Lemi Shine - Mix up really really well! Store in an air tight container (or several containers this recipe made enough to fill 2 - half gallon ball canning jars and 1 quart jar) Use about 1.5t per load - I sprinkle a little in my prewash compartment then 1t in for the regular wash. The recipe will make about 20 cups of Dishwasher Detergent, using 1.5t per load, will wash 960 loads of dishes at $ .01 a load - - - R U KIDDING??  I just triple checked my math - $13.94 total cost /960 loads = $0.01452083 per load!!

Dishwasher Rinse Aid Recipe

Use Distilled White Vinegar as you would any other rinse aid. If you would buy one bottle of jet dry or other rinse aid each month for $5 - one gallon vinegar is only $2 and would last you a whole year - saving you  $58/year!