10.12.2012

Quick and Simple Gluten-Free Cheese Sauce


Ok this morning (on my day off) I remembered we had leftover broccoli in the fridge from last night's dinner and started craving broccoli and cheese sauce! Since I'm wheat/gluten-free I wasn't exactly sure I could come up with a quick and simple cheese sauce - sans wheat-flour - OH and we're out of milk!

So - my first try is a huge success and only proves how easy real food cooking from scratch can be! This recipe is a keeper!!!

1T Organic Salted Butter
1t Organic Tapioca Flour/Starch
1c Organic Cheese (i used Raw Longhorn cheese)
1/4c Organic Coconut Milk (or cow's milk)
Salt, Pepper, spices, etc..

In a small pot melt butter over medium/low heat, wisk in the Tapioca starch cook for a minute, add milk  and cheese - keep wisking till smooth!

I seasoned mine with lots of ground mustard (maybe 1/4 to 1/2t) and white pepper (1/8t to 1/4t) and sprinkled in a dash of onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric and paprika.. then salted to taste.. '

It's super yummy and the most complicated part was grating the cheese! You can add more milk to thin your sauce to your desired consistency!